Woman Arrested in Border Patrol Shootout Pleads Not Guilty

click to enlarge

  • Courtesy of WCAX
  • A hotel guest believed to be Teresa Youngblut

The woman accused of starting a traffic-stop shootout in the Northeast Kingdom last month that left a U.S. Border Patrol dead appeared in federal court again on Friday and formally denied the felony charges against her.

Teresa Youngblut, 21, was escorted into the Burlington courtroom in red prison clothes, her right arm still in a sling from injuries sustained during the exchange of gunfire that killed Agent David “Chris” Maland and Youngblut’s associate, Felix Bauckholt.

Youngblut stood as Magistrate Judge Kevin J. Doyle read the two weapons charges brought by a federal grand jury, including that Youngblut used a deadly weapon while interfering with a public officer. Doyle asked her a series of questions to ascertain her fitness to enter a plea.

In response to one of the judge’s questions, Youngblut, who wore a mask over her mouth and nose, said that she had completed part of a bachelor’s degree.

“Ms. Youngblut, is your mind clear today?” Doyle asked.

“Yes,” she replied.

Asked for her plea, Youngblut replied, “Not guilty.”

The hearing, Youngblut’s third since the January 20 shooting, did not shed any new light on the many mysteries that surround the case. Authorities still haven’t said whether Youngblut shot Maland or whether the agent was killed by friendly fire during the shootout.

But it has become clear that Youngblut and Bauckholt had close ties to a fringe group of young philosophers who practiced veganism and were preoccupied with the risks associated with artificial intelligence.

The group — informally known as “Zizians,” after an apparent leader’s nickname — is tied to a series of homicides across the country. An adherent named Michelle Zajko owned property in the Northeast Kingdom and, according to police, had purchased the Glock handgun that Youngblut used during the January encounter. Zajko’s parents were murdered in late 2022, and police have yet to arrest a suspected killer.

Federal authorities have asked local and state police to be on the lookout for Zajko, whose current whereabouts are unknown.

Youngblut, originally from Washington State, had recently filed for marriage to someone named Maximilian Snyder. Snyder faces a murder charge in California after police say he fatally stabbed an 82-year-old landlord on January 17.

Youngblut and Bauckholt were renting apartments near one another in Chapel Hill, N.C., in recent months, according to reporting by the Associated Press.

The pair were looking to purchase an off-grid home in Wheelock before U.S. Border Patrol agents pulled them over on Interstate 91, VTDigger.org reported. Employees at a Northeast Kingdom hotel where Youngblut and Bauckholt were guests had alerted authorities about them several days earlier, noting the unusual black tactical clothing they wore and apparent weapons arsenal. Authorities spoke to the pair soon after receiving the report, but had no grounds to arrest them.

The FBI has said that Border Patrol later stopped Bauckholt’s blue Toyota Prius on I-91 because Bauckholt’s work visa appeared to be expired, though it was in fact current.

During the stop, police say, Youngblut opened fire.

In court on Friday, Assistant U.S. Attorney Matthew Lasher said the government has body camera and dashboard camera videos of the altercation, as well as a recorded statement by Youngblut. That footage has not been publicly released. Investigators are still examining Youngblut’s and Bauckholt’s electronic devices for further evidence, Lasher said.

Members of Youngblut’s family attended Friday’s hearing but did not speak to the press.






Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top